Traditional Ruler (The Igwe)
Chief Iguegbe of Arochukwu who resided in Agbudu was in charge of the affairs of Amanasa settlement. Amanasa comprises of Agbudu, Enugu-Umuonyia and Umuomaku. At that time, Chief Olendi was in charge of Umunambu village, while Chief Egbejimba was overseeing the affairs of Okpobe village and Chief Igbo was overseeing the affairs of Umuokpurukpu village. These three chiefs in charge of Umunambu, Okpobe and Umuokpurukpu were all reporting to Chief Iguegbe at Agbudu. After the nation's independence in the year 1960, there was nothing again as the warrant chiefs in Umuomaku.
In 1977, Chief I.C Ibekwe (Onunekwuruoha I) was elected as the chief of Umuomaku. Following the death of Chief I.C Ibekwe and later Obi Ezeobioha I, Chief Gabriel Ezeobioha ascended the throne and held all the responsibilities until his death.
After the passing on of Chief Gabriel (Ezeobioha II), the constitution of Umuomaku was changed to accommodate a rotational Igweship among the constituent villages, starting with the eldest village. This change led to the first election in 2017 that was contested by three prominent Umuomaku indigenes nominated from Umunambu village. The election later led to the present traditional institutional crisis in the town.
A new Igwe election was conducted on 24th September 2022 between Ifeanyi Peter Ogbugha (Nwawelugo) and Chief Livinus Ezenwa (Onwa). After the election Chief Livinus Ezenwa was elected the Igwe of Umuomaku.
Umuomaku Town Union
Town unions are important administrative units in Igbo land. They are the elected government at the grassroots and are recognized by the state government as channel for rural governance, maintenance of peace and security and a vehicle to promote and engender developments in the communities, in collaboration with the traditional rulers (the Igwe).
Between the period 1950 and 1965, it was called Umuomaku Improvement Union (UIU) in early 1950s and later changed to Umuomaku Progressive Union (UPU) in 1953. This process in the name change was as a result of the disagreement from various village interest groups which was later resolved by Rev’d. Michael M. Maduakor in 1953 which led to the formation of the Umuomaku Progressive Union (UPU). The pioneer chairman of Umuomaku Improvement Union was Chief Herbert Ozoemena (Engr Ezeonwu, Boniface Nwa).
Between 1967 and 1970, Chief I.C Ibekwe was elected the President General (PG) in 1967. The administration of the Umuomaku Progressive Union was abruptly ended because of the Nigeria – Biafra civil war. The authority and power of the war council came from the Aguata divisional headquarter directly.
Past and Present President General
• From 1970 to 1976, The PG, Chief C.I Ibekwe who was elected in 1967 just before the commencement of the civil war continued as the President General of Umuomaku Progressive Union.
• From December 1976 to December 1983, Chief Okwu Ugwu was elected the President General of Umuomaku Progressive Union. Girl’s Secondary School Umuomaku was constructed during his regime.
• From December 1983 to December 1987, The Evangelist Mathias Unekwe was elected the President General of UPU.
• From December 1987 to December 1990, Chief B.D Nwafor (Ochudo) became the President General of UPU.
• From December 1990 to December 1993, Chief Herbert O. Igwe was elected the President General of UPU.
• From December 1993 to December 1996, Mr. D.O.C Uzor was elected the President General of the town union.
• From December 1996 to December 1999, Chief Sir Alex Maduakor was elected the President General of the town union.
• From January 2000 to October 2000, Mr. Marcelinus Egbemere was appointed the head of the caretaker committee to manage the affairs of the town because of the inability of Umuokpurukpu village to present a candidate.
• From October 2000 to August 2004, Chief Josiah Emekekwe was elected the President General of the town union.
• From August 2004 to December 2004, Sir Sam Agbasi was appointed chairman of the caretaker committee.
• From 2004 to 2007, Hon. Gab. Mbonu was elected the President General of the town.
• From December 2007 to December 2010, Hon. David Chukwukezie was elected the President General of UPU and impeached in September 2009. Sir B.I Uzor was presented by Umunambu village as a replacement for the impeached President General. Alphonsor Ochiogu, the vice president to Hon. David Chukwukezie was handed over the position of the President General 2010.
• From December 2010 to December 2013, Hon. Emma C. Emenuga was elected the PG of the UPU.
• From December 2013 to December 2016, Chief Fidelis Anyadiegwu was elected the President General
• From December 2016 to February 2020, Hon. Robert Obi was the President General of the town.
• The affairs of Umuomaku town was managed by a caretaker committee led by Eric Udoye. Their tenure ended in June 2022
• From June 2022, Sir Augustine Chukwuekezie is the current President General of the town.
It is worthy of note that the position of the President General of UPU is rotational, from one village to another, then to the next.